The curriculum was originally developed in 2006/7 and has been updated and expanded in 2016.The original curriculum underwent a research study on the pilot that was conducted by the HSRC. An additional survey of the implementation of Vhutshilo 1 in 2015 resulted in the recommendation that the curriculum needs to be updated and strengthened, changing from a peer led intervention to a youth facilitator approach. A Trainer's Manual was also developed which allows for a Master Trainer to explore the underlying pedagogy of Vhutshilo and provides ways to mentor and support youth facilitators.
The changes to Vhutshilo 1 include reworking all the artwork. Sessions were added on values, strengthened sexuality, puberty and negotiation skills. The improvements considered alignment to the DREAMS intervention outcomes and promotes the concept of encouraging 5 friends and mentorship.
The curriculum has 13 sessions, each an hour in duration.
Please click on the button or link below to download an example session.
▪ Session 1. Making Our Place
▪ Session 2. A Good Space—Getting Help from the People Around Us
▪ Session 3. What’s Important—the Value of Values
▪ Session 4. Making Good Decisions in Difficult Situations
▪ Session 5. Feel Free to Feel
▪ Session 6. Dealing with Grief and Loss
▪ Session 7. Living with Change—Welcome to Puberty
▪ Session 8. Attraction—Show You Care in Safe Ways
▪ Session 9. Understanding HIV/AIDS and STIs
▪ Session 10. Taking Care of Ourselves
▪ Session 11. Having a Friend—Being a Friend
▪ Session 12. Get What’s Best for You—Negotiate
▪ Session 13. Looking Back—Looking Ahead